Old December 10th 18, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default What am I doing wrong?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:43:25 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Turing wrote:

Damn! I thought to try to verify that the mice & keyoards I have all
work when connected directly to the PC which has only one PS/2 port,
purple & green. One keyboard at a time. They do. I then put one
keyboard PS/2 into my Y-connector and the latter to a PC USB port. It
worked too. So the keyboard is good on that computer, as is the Y.
I then piped the keyboard PS2 through the KVM. NEITHER THE MOUSE OR
KEYBOARD WORKED! So it wud seem that I cannot use this Aten 4-port
CS-114A KVM for some reason. Strange, because the KVM switches the
monitor to both PCs quite nicely.
Damn! Or did I already say that.
Al

Under a nym of "Piper" (who signs outside of a sigblock as "Pete", as in
Pete[r] Piper) in your prior thread titled "ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need
power cord" (Message-ID = ),
you got help on finding an AC/DC power adapter for this KVM.

Piper's headers:

Then you nymshifted to "Turing" (who signs outside of a sigblock as
"Al") in your prior thread titled "Need cables or ATEN CS104 4-port KVM"
(Message-ID = ), you had
other problems with this KVM.

Turing's headers:

You didn't have the power adapter. You didn't have the cabling.
Apparently you didn't have the manual (and others found one for you).
And you are still having problems with that KVM you got suckered into an
impulse buy at a garage sale or swap meet that was sold as-is. I don't
remember if you ever identified the computer with the PS/2 port and also
identified the keyboard (which might be a USB-PS/2 unit) but then I'm
not wandering through your other threads about evergrowing problems with
this same KVM to find out.

https://http2.mlstatic.com/master-vi...0_042018-F.jpg

From that pic, the KVM probably only handles PS/2 or DIN5 keyboards and
PS/2 or serial mice. If a PS/2-only keyboard doesn't work with this KVM
(not a USB-PS/2 keyboard using an adapter) then trash the garage-sale
KVM and get a new one. Since you have USB ports in your computer, just
move ahead to a KVM that works with USB devices (keyboard and mouse) and
get new keyboards and mice. You've spent at least 15 days here getting
help, and probably more before that, trying to get this garage-sale or
swap-meet junk to work trying to save, what, about $20 for the cost of a
new PS/2 KVM? How much did the power adapter cost? How much did those
cables cost? And you still cannot get the KVM to work. Periphery
replacement isn't going to fix the box itself.

Example of a new unit but with old PS/2 support:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAET87AA7690

$27 new, with cables, power adapter, PS/2 support, and even supports
switching of audio. That's just an example but looks discontinued (and
why I mentioned moving forward to USB input devices since your computer
has USB ports). Some other KVMs are under $20 but have no audio
support. Check the video resolution the KVM supports is equal to or
greater than your video card's maximum resolution or whatever max
resolution you will use.

That you're a nymshifter (Piper signed as Pete and Turing signed as Al)
puts me off from continuing this disjoint discussion across multiple
threads. There's something suspicious about someone who spends more
money on a power adapter and cabling to ressurect a garbage-bin unit
than to buy a new KVM that would work and warranteed. Bye bye.

I see I have ****ed u off. I did the name shift out of ignorance.
Sorry. I did not think it was important how I signed separate
threads. But I guess I was wrong!. I was simply going for
anonimity.

So, at this point I reluctantly want you all (yes, all) to forget all
this, and forget you met me. I am ambarassed, have erased all related
threads herein involved, can no longer read them, and am gone. I
will try to figger this out for myself

Cya
noname