Old October 12th 18, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Mysterious internet/ethernet issue (kinda needtesting/connection/communication service to diagnose it ???)

Tomorrow new device will arrive between 10h and 13h according to a mail I got.

So if true, then by tomorrow at least TV signal will be better, maybe my internet connection will be even faster.

It seems wise to wait with testing until this device is replaced, then again, I remain very skeptical that this noise on tv signal has any effect on cable modem.

I shall perform some speed tests just to see if there is any difference before and after replacing the device.

Another explanation could be that PC too slow to achieve certain speeds, then again I think under ideal circumstances, 50 megabyte/sec should be doable for this system perhaps even 100 megabyte/sec.

So far I could download 20 megabyte/sec with bittorrent just fine this year..

The harddisk/cpu can't even keep up with it having to calculate sha256 hashes.

I think 20 megabyte/sec is already pretty insane fast

Cannot imagine it becoming any faster thx to new device.

My hypothesis for now is:

The 69 million dropped packets may have been an incident or some other case, maybe PC too slow occasionally.

Kinda wanted to now if this was sporadic or constantly...

This is why I would like to get into the cable modem's log to see it with my own eyes to see what is going on.

Perhaps this docsis is so good that this noise doesn't even influence the speed to match... then again... a dropped packet is a dropped packet... maybe some docsis frames not sure what this guy ment.

Not being able to go into this cable modem log kinda sucks though.

Now I am not sure if the noise/packet loss was real and what kind...

I do have logs from long ago... showing some kind of signal loss but that was probably when the operating on the net... this was 2004/2005 maybe 2009.... and a different cable modem a surfboard.

Anyway...

Tonight and maybe tomorrow night I will try and scan a certain 10.x.x.x ip range since this is supposed to be the public ip ranges of these cable modems.

In an attempt to find my cable modems IP.

Or perhaps a better idea, phone the ISP... ask them the IP address of my cable modem... but for me it's kinda more fun to perform a scan just to see if that works or not. Since it will be at night not too much of a big deal for me... except system collecting some dust... Maybe I ll try even both not sure yet.

Also depends on if others will test this software with me or not, then I may just skip the whole thing and hope for the best.

What if tv signal does not improve ? Hmmm then I will continue performing software test if I manage to find somebody to do this with.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.