Old November 15th 04, 01:53 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"jbgcjncg" wrote in message
om...
CoCo wrote in message

jbgcjncg wrote:
Okay, so my A64 3000+ system occasionally emits this sound as if a
wire is touching a spinning. After a little bit of makig it, it stops.
I'm really not sure what's up with that, but I'm fairly sure that no
wires are actually in any fans.

So anyway, when it began to make this sound today, I was rebooting
right around then, and when the American Megatrends logo showed up, I
was told that overclocking failed.

I ran ASUS probe to look at temperatures. MB is stable at 23C and CPU
is between 25-27C. Voltages appear to be consistent as well.

Should I be worried? Is my system trying to overclock itself?

hi

no but you may have instable power. (or maybe a fan is going dead soon)

coco

I put this system together about a month ago, and first noticed the
sound 3-4 days ago. Other than that "overclocking" episode, it's been
working perfectly. Voltage monitor software shows all stable voltages,
I have a not-so-shabby Enermax PSU and all fans are new. I suppose
it's still possible, but I don't know.

Watts, how many?
I've heard it's good to have @ least a 450 W PSU or higher for almost all
the
AMD 64's.
I just might've took that long to start having problems.
+
Put you hand at the back of your PSU, is it cool air coming out or warm.
If it's warm air, your overworking your PSU & you need a higher one.
If it's cool air, then it's not having any problems.
Also keep in mind how much stuff you have running off of that PSU
Hard Drives, CD-Roms, etc, etc.
Almost all hd's are about 15W each
CD-Roms are sometimes as much as 30W
CPU's as high as 70W and over.
boards take up around, well I would have to say close to half as much, if
not more.
Some boards today take up almost as much as the CPU.
I would guess your cpu is closer to 90 or 100 Watts.
I just did the figures on mine, and without Overclock, I get 315W
I only have a 350 in this thing, so I am cutting it close.
I also counted my Black Light, and don't always have it on.
Denny. ;-) :-)
Denny. ;-) :-)