Old November 10th 18, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Can Someone Tell Me What Is Going On?

VanguardLH wrote:
John McGaw wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

Assuming "router" actually means the cable modem, not some separate
router you have downstream of the modem. The modem losing power means
you lose networking services, not cable TV (CATV). You don't even need
the modem if all you want is CATV service. The coax runs from the

Damn! I didn't think of the possibility that there were still old coax
cable TV feeds around any more. I though that all went away at least ten
years back.

Are you're paying for CATV (networking not involved) or streaming TV
(requires networking) or both?

The coax (RF) connector on the cable modem goes where? To a splitter at
the service entry point. The cable to the RF connector on the set-top
box goes where? To the splitter at the service entry point.

Um, you thought CATV went away 10 years ago as though being old meaning
it was no longer used. How old do you think is the Ethernet protocol
for networking?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

Neither are new technologies. Neither is under 10 years old, or 20
years old, or 30 years old. Try over 40 years old for Ethernet and 60
years old for CATV. They both still work. Nothing your paying for
CATV, voice, or Internet is new technology.

You probably need a CableCard now, due to encryption.

I doubt traditional cable would work by accident,
it takes planning and the cable company won't exactly
be helping you.

It means they don't have to send a guy skulking around
your house, sniffing for stolen CATV. If you don't have
the proper CableCard, you're not going to see anything.

And an added benefit, is extra CableCards are rented
for $5 a month - the CableCard scheme makes them extra money.

Paul