Old December 26th 17, 10:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Inspiron 1200 HD type??

On Monday, December 25, 2017 at 1:21:52 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I have an Inspiron 1200 that's been my main
computer since new, that's showing signs of
crashes and BSOD's.

What kind of HD does it have? Conflicting
acronyms that I don't know the meanings of.

Possibility 1 get a new HD of the right type

Possibility 2 get an enclosure for the old HD and
access it via USB from another computer.

those possibilities seeming to cover whatever the
eventual cause of failure is.

Ron,

Best fix for a hard drive with a bad sector is to clone it to another drive.. For this, you need hardware to which both drives are attached, e.g. the drive inside the Inspiron 1200 and a drive connected to the 1200 via USB. Next, you need free cloning software such as Clonezilla or Partition Wizard, both of which can be set up to boot from a CD-ROM drive or bootable flash stick. The "surface to surface" copy is, in effect, a verbatim clone of the hard drive, including the operating system.