Old January 3rd 15, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Precision M6500 - screen shut off

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014 3:03:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Can any one help me i have an m6500 i7 extreme and one day after using it for 3 hours it just turned off and when i bought it used only one left fan was just on and i saw a teardown video it only showed 2 fans can any one please tell me if my video card is going wrong of some thing and if i buy this fan http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...989187&alt=web will it go away PLEASE REPLY ANY ONE.

FWIW, the Dell Precision M6500 has an nVidia graphics chip, same as many models of MacBook. nVidia chips have a long sad history of running hot, causing failure. I've dealt with failed nVidia cards in desktops, too. Several Dell and HP laptop models as well as MacBooks were subjects of a class-action lawsuit a few years ago against nVidia, settled with a lot of $$$ for the lawyers and a very short window, 90-days or so (???), for people to make claims about their failed laptops. So nVidia escaped with a slap on the wrist and continues to this day to be one of the three major players in computer graphics. Yes, nVidia makes some very advanced products with its multi-core architecture, but Ralph Nader's "Unsafe at Any Speed" may apply here... Ben Myers