Old April 26th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Barry Watzman

Default Acer Aspire 5630 Laptop screen/display problem

"Got the above laptop and it's just developed a problem with the
screen/display - there's a 65mm column at the right-hand side of the
display that's gone dark. Applications open up properly and you can see
the whole width of the app, but it doesn't go the whole width of the
screen - sort of full display but not full screen if you see what I mean."

That is a driver problem. As an example, if I move a hard drive from a
Toshiba 1415 to a 2415 (or vice-versa), I have seen the same problem.
Sometimes reinstalling the driver fixes it, sometimes I have to
reinstall WINDOWS. The 1415 and 2415 are substantially identical
computers but one has a Celeron and the other a full Pentium 4. No
explanation, but it's a driver issue (the resolution is set to an odd
[TRULY odd] value and cannot be reset to the correct value).

Pete Zahut wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Pete Zahut typed on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:42:46 +0100:
Got the above laptop and it's just developed a problem with the
screen/display - there's a 65mm column at the right-hand side of the
display that's gone dark. Applications open up properly and you can
see the whole width of the app, but it doesn't go the whole width of
the screen - sort of full display but not full screen if you see
what I mean. Also, don't know if it's relevant or not but the
taskbar at the bottom seems to be twice as tall as normal and isn't
drag-able back to it's usual size - cursor also distorts in this
area. I'm not explaining it very well, so have a look at this photo:

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=laptop1.jpg

At first I thought it may be a display driver issue but I've
uninstalled and reinstalled without success. I've also used a
program called #1-TuffTest Pro (http://www.tufftest.com/ttp01.htm)
that is self-booting, operating system independent and never goes
anywhere near Windows, but shows the same results, so I would say
that that rules out any Windows driver issues. Picture of that test
he
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=laptop2.jpg

Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?

TIA,
Hi Pete! Wow that is weird. An external monitor I can see this
happening. Internal monitor, I never saw this. Any chance you can
hook it up to an external? I suspect the same result. Although you
may adjust it to display correctly. In either case, I believe you
have to take it in for service. It is still under warrantee, right?

I haven't as yet hooked it up to an external monitor, but will do
later today when I have chance, and let you know what I find.
Unfortunately, it's not in warranty so whatever it is, I'll have to
pay for the repair if it's a hardware fault (

Thanks Bill

Bill (and anyone else who's interested, of course), further to the above
I've now hooked it up to an external monitor and the display on the external
monitor is perfect.

Photo at
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=laptop2a.jpg

Don't know what that means though (