Old October 16th 18, 04:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Diagnosis/conclusion of Skybuck's UBEE cable modem from 2009 (tutorial how to get into it even if corrupted)

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 16:21:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hello,

My diagnosis/conclusion concerning my UBEE cable modem is:

Corruption of download signal over COAX is somehow locking the modem out, or it's done by ISP provider, mostly it is caused by signal corruption.
(Could also be a miss configuration by ISP because of upgraded protocol, old modem gets confused by newer protocol, see log below)

This tutorial might help those to diagnose problems and to see menus of UBEE cable modem, the exercise in itself is almost useless it does provide some information about mac addresses and firmware, but logs will be deleted/reset, however this exercise does prove the cable modem is working correctly before it is hooked up to the COAX:

1. Disconnect cable modem from power.

2. Disconnect cable modem from coax/white cable (to splitter).

3. Connect cable modem to power.

4. Press reset button with a tiny screw driver.

That's the 15-second reset, I hope.

5. Have browser open and navigate to 192.168.1.1

Use following links if 192.168.1.1 is not showing default menu:

Basic information is accessible without username/password:

http://192.168.1.1/BasicCmState.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicFirmware.asp
http://192.168.1.1/BasicStatus.asp

Advanced information is accessible with authentication:
user: admin
password: password

http://192.168.1.1/AdvMta.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvLine.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvDhcp.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvQos.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvProvisioning.asp
http://192.168.1.1/AdvEventLog.asp

The outputs will be htm pages, with red bars and information.

The event log was the most interesting after step 6:

I disagree. I'd say the event log is the least interesting of all. I
suggest ignoring the log page because there's nothing useful there. The
most interesting page will be the one with this info (after the modem is
connected to the coax and synced up):

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Frequency Power SNR
1 Not Locked unknown 329000000 Hz -6.9 dBmV 22.9 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
5 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
6 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
7 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV
8 Not Locked Unknown 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dBmV

Correctables Uncorrectables
0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Symbol Rate Frequency
Power
1 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
2 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
3 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
4 Not Locked Unknown 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Once the coax is reconnected and the modem is fully synced, you'll get
real numbers instead of all those zeros. Only then can you actually see
what's going on.