Old November 8th 14, 02:48 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Brian Gregory

Default "BIOS problem" solved

On 06/11/2014 09:22, Rod Speed wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I've never had a problem with my samsungs.

Sounds painful!

Nope, completely painless.
Any of the small molecular weight alcohols are fine.

The SATA cable should not be bent until it kinks.

That's true of any signal cable like that.

This has an impact on the dielectric insulation inside the cable.
And can change the cable impedance.

Cable impedance just isnt a problem with digital signals.

If it wasn't, you wouldn't be worrying about kinks above.

I don't worry about kinks above.
It's an analogue world

Nope.
- especially at the sort of frequencies we work at these days.

Not in the sense that the cable impedance matters.
But even back in the days of 10 megabit ethernet, impedance was
relevant (75 ohm coax, IIRR). That's why, ideally, you had terminators.

But PATA didn't and SATA doesn't either.

I'm sure SATA does have terminators, it's just that they're built in to
the devices at the ends of the cable, and there are no devices connected
anywhere in the middle of the cable.

My understanding is that PATA does too but that they're not terminated
very precisely, so that whether you have one drive or two it still works
"well enough".

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).