Old November 25th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mitch Crane

Default Scythe Mine - CPU Cooler?

Gerry_uk wrote in
:

Hi Mitch,

my E6600 and my full load temps are now lower that what my idle
temps were using the stock cooler.

What core temps do you get at idle and full load?

It's OCed @ 3.2GHz. I'm getting the temperature using Intel Thermal
Analysus Tool which reads much higher than Asus Probe 2. I ran Orthos
for 24 hours and it stayed around 50C. With the stock heatsink I
couldn't run Orthos for more than a few minutes without error, but at
3GHz it would stay at around 65C or a degree or two higher. Now it
idles in the high 30's to low 40's depending on room temperature (Asus
Probe says high 20's to low 30's). With the stock HSF it idled over
50C in TAT.

My vCore is set to 1.3750, but every utility I've tried shows 1.35v (I
haven't tried measuring it with a meter). Running @ 3.0GHz I used a
vCore setting of 1.3125 (higher vCore didn't help, which isn't
surprising since the cooler was so poor). So despite the higher vCore
and higher clock it runs much cooler using the Scythe Infinity.

This cooler is huge, however. Some people claim it's hard to install.
I don't find it difficult to install, at all. I did remove it once to
reorient it and it is difficult to uninstall inside my mid-tower case.

Regarding sound levels, it comes with a large low-speed fan which is
pretty quiet. The other fans in the case and PSU fan drown it out so
much that I can't even tell the difference if I shut the fan
completely off using SpeedFan.

BTW, turning the fan off doesn't even seem to have any affect on core
temps, probably because I have the side panel off of the case and the
Infinity is close enough to the PSU and rear case fans that it still
gets a lot of airflow.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng