Old September 20th 04, 05:20 AM
David Casey

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:54:07 -0700, computernewby wrote in
:

Unlike the other poster I don't think your an asshole. ...your post might
as well have been me. I paid $935 for a Dell computer a couple weeks ago
and spent over three hours trying to do their online joke of a system tech
support.(never got through)..there were no open techs and I was repeatedly
refreshing the screen. After over an hour on hold and a second attempt with
many transfers and being hung up on before I even said anything I am with
you. I finally spent about 4 hours and a buttload of restarts reinstalling
the operating system, installing the second edition over that and doing all
the updates to finally get my two computers networked.

Man, 4 hours to install Windows?! Was it the downloading all the updates
(shouldn't have taken that long if you installed SP2 unless you hadn't
downloaded and burned to CD the SP2 update file ahead of time)?

As for getting two machines networked, I can vouch for that taking a while
sometimes. But that isn't Dell's fault. You should give up on Microsoft
products and give Linux a try. ;-)

Of course this doesn't count the hassle with trying to get Dell to close my
account that I applied for just to see how much money I would qualify for
at their 0 percent interest. I qualified for $4000 at 17.9 percent
interest....I have excellent credit and several credit cards, none of which
have a balance, no late payments, money in the bank, and a homeowner. Two
of my credit cards APR added together isn't %17.9......ridiculous. I feel
sorry for the people that have bad credit and have to use Dell to get a
computer. They must really get raped.

I wouldn't be too happy with qualifying for credit from Dell. Anyone who
gives out credit over the Internet is just giving it away. Besides, if you
don't pay they'll get their money back (and then some) so what are they
really losing?

I know I don't make any difference but I seriously will never buy another
Dell. This was my third Dell and it will be my last. I have seen them go
downhill and will purchase another brand at a local warehouse store because
they have an excellent return policy if anything goes wrong. Or maybe I
will just spend the extra dough and build my own. That way I don't have to
worry about tech support. When I took my Dell out of the box a few weeks
ago the cover wasn't on the front of the computer all the way. I carefully
reinstalled it and now it buzzes all the damn time unless I stick a paper
clip between it and the side. There is nothing to adjust and I am just fed
up with Hell...oooops..Dell.

I guess you just missed that 21 day return period to get that fixed. I
would have sent the whole thing back if it made a noise like you describe!
Ask my wife, I've been known to have her drive me around in my car while I
sat in the backseat just so I could figure out what was making the rattling
noise. :-)

BTW, have you ever been inside of a UPS shipping center? The way those
boxes are moved around, I was happy when my system came out of the box
working!

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98