Old March 14th 09, 04:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Jan Panteltje

Default Dvorak Likes Linux

On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:21:31 -0700 (PDT)) it happened YKhan
wrote in
:

On Mar 13, 11:21*am, Jan Panteltje wrote:
I dunno, I had a free win32 type compiler that I used some times to make =

simple GUIs, I think
it worked in all older version, but am not sure anymore, so long ago.
I just tried to make a Nokia bluetooth headset work with the Asus eeePC (=

for Skype).
Not only are many of the instructions on the net wrong, the whole bluetoo=

th thing (bluez)
was changed from version 2.? to 3.? to use dbus, but no indication how to=

add a PIN for paring
the headset.
Finally found a hint on wiki.eeeuser.com where to put the pin, and got th=

e thing to pair,
and can connect to it, next should be how to send and get sound from it.

Actually, I've had a similar problem with a bluetooth adapter that I
just can't seem to get a driver for. I assume the solution to this
will be for an OEM to package a bluetooth adapter already configured
and known to work with Linux. We are heading towards an era where PCs
won't be nearly so customized, except from out of the factory. This
can only help Linux, when the factory puts stuff in that is guaranteed
to work.

We won't be adding nearly so much stuff into our PCs from the
aftermarket.

Yousuf Khan

Well, I dunno, I bought a Trust bluetooth USB dongle to use in the eeePC.
It came in a plastic sales thing that states 'drivers for Vista, Xp, and win9x.
I only have win 98, decided to try the CD, and it tells me only Vista and Xp...
Looked at the CD, there was a 9x directory, but 98 SE does not like those files.
So.. into the eeePC, and after lots of trying it worked.
We will -always- have USB gadgets, for example I have a Huawei USB modem,
that worked out of the box (GPRS HSDPA) on the eeePC.
But the problem is this with the bluetooth adapter:
For MS windows, you get drivers for Vista and Xp, plus nice utilities to
send and receive sound, and I suppose it works.
For Linux the tendency seems to be to make modules for everything.
Now those modules need to be compiled with the right kernel version.
And there are a zillion kernel versions, and I think the module even needs to be
compiled with the right gcc version.
Result: Companies cannot supply 1000 different modules, so forget about anything working.
People cannot compile modules as they have no kernel sources and headers installed, and likely
no gcc too, so Linux is hopeless to sell things for that just work, it
all takes a computer nerd and oceans of time.
So what do people do? They need some functionality, and buy the [eee]PC with Xp...
And their stuff works.
This is the reality of it, and Linux will have to change that stupid module habit
to ever make it for the masses.