Old October 30th 04, 06:41 PM
James Sweet

"N Cook" wrote in message
"Franklin" wrote in message
My monitor's display seems to twitch slightly every ten minutes or
thereabouts.

It's just a very small movement but I notice it easily when I am
reading the screen. The movement seems to be mostly in the
horizontal plane. It never used to do this.

As best as one can guess, is this likely to be a fault with the
monitor or with the graphics card?

The monitor is a 17 inch CRT and the graphics card is an NVidia
GeForce2. Both are about 3 years old and have worked faultlessly up
to now.

My mains power supply seems fine. I recently removed several devices
from my PC (three hard drives) so PSU is more lightly loaded than it
has been.

Strange you say this. My monitor has been doing this same thing for a few
weeks now.
Sizzling noise at the same time so probably voltages of 50 volt or less.
Cracking noise would be higher voltage area.
Sometime I'll take the cover off and trace the dry joint/loose wire.

If you wait until "someday" chances are you'll be doing much more
troubleshooting and component replacement than if you fix the solder joint
now. Bad solder joints are the cause of probably 60% of power semiconductor
failures.