Old December 25th 17, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default question re micro-USB/regular USB cord

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Truly well put, VanguardLH, I agree with you 110%, Stupid phones are
turning our young generation into a bunch of virtual Zombies. I
wouldn't and will never own a stupid phone ever, I will hang on to my
POTS line until they tear the wires out.

Rene

I seem to recall an AT&T customer rep telling me that (removing POTS)
is in the works around 2020 in my area.

I've never had a smartphone until just a few days ago. I saw a video
on YouTube explaining that a smartphone could be used separately from a
cell phone network, for example, AT&T or T-Mobile, and work with a
wi-fi network; it does not need a SIM card to work. With the
appropriate apps, I could send and receive phone calls over the
internet.

Given the info about AT&T's plans and using a smartphone as a wi-fi
phone, I decided I better start checking it out so I could have a
better feel for what my options are. I didn't want to get caught
flat-footed if what AT&T reps said turned out to be true. For
whatever reason, I had never thought about using a smartphone in that
manner until then.

BTW, even with the smartphone, I do not like using them (neither cell
phone nor smartphone). They are too small for my fingers, they are
uncomfortable to hold while talking (as compared to the POTS phones I
grew up with) and the screen display is too small for my tired eyes.
So the only time I carry it around to use is when I'm in transit.
Otherwise, I keep it turned off and use my pc and my traditional phones
at home. My sister doesn't understand why I don't see her text
messages she sends to me LOL.

John