Old December 21st 17, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default question re micro-USB/regular USB cord

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:31:11 -0000 (UTC), "Yes" wrote:

| Are manufacturers playing games with us - again?
|
| I have a Canon digital camera and an LG smartphone. Both of them came
| with their own microUSB to USB cable to connect the microUSB port on
| the device to a USB port on another device, Because the cords look the
| same and product descriptions say they are microUSB ports (on the
| device), I thought I'd leave one cord plugged into my pc on a
| semi-permanent basis and use it with either device as needed. However,
| when I tested them out, the microUSB connector of the cord that Canon
| supplied would not fit into the microUSB port on the phone. Same
| problem trying to use the smartphone cord with the camera - won't fit.
|
| The last time I remember something like this was from the 50s. Sears
| used non-standard screw threads in goods sold under their brand. My
| mother had a repair shop, and her customers would get upset because
| repair times were longer because she had to place special orders to get
| replacements for Sears equipment than for mainstream brands. From my
| experience today, it sure seems like someone is messing around.
|
| Has anyone else run into this problem? Is this problem just bad luck
| on my part or are the manufacturers really playing fast and loose with
| specs microUSB dimensions? It would have been much more convenient
| to have been able to use one cord with either one. Instead I'll have
| to keep both handy.

I sometimes think things often get changed just for the sake of change.

Then there are USB "C" connectors. I really like those better since I don't have to
pay attention to how I plug it into my phone. It has rounded sides, so no bottom and
top difference to worry about.

Larc