Old December 21st 17, 08:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default question re micro-USB/regular USB cord

Are manufacturers playing games with us - again?

I have a Canon digital camera and an LG smartphone. Both of them came
with their own microUSB to USB cable to connect the microUSB port on
the device to a USB port on another device, Because the cords look the
same and product descriptions say they are microUSB ports (on the
device), I thought I'd leave one cord plugged into my pc on a
semi-permanent basis and use it with either device as needed. However,
when I tested them out, the microUSB connector of the cord that Canon
supplied would not fit into the microUSB port on the phone. Same
problem trying to use the smartphone cord with the camera - won't fit.

The last time I remember something like this was from the 50s. Sears
used non-standard screw threads in goods sold under their brand. My
mother had a repair shop, and her customers would get upset because
repair times were longer because she had to place special orders to get
replacements for Sears equipment than for mainstream brands. From my
experience today, it sure seems like someone is messing around.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is this problem just bad luck
on my part or are the manufacturers really playing fast and loose with
specs microUSB dimensions? It would have been much more convenient
to have been able to use one cord with either one. Instead I'll have
to keep both handy.

John