Old January 28th 08, 07:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

Default dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

cpliu wrote:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I put it in the freezer for one
night but it didn't help. It might take longer to start the clicking
noise. Here is the recorded noise: http://66.179.233.115/training/xfer/HD_noise.mp3
This is the first time that a HD stopped working without any symptons
first. I carried it to work to backup and retrieve data when needed
and I didn't drop it or mishandle it. Maybe the motion of walking with
it inside a bag or putting it on the table gradually kills it.
I have 90% of files with a second copy or on DVD. There are a few big
files and newer files I don't have backups. It would be still nice if
I can still back them up before sending it back.
The HD won't show up on my laptop. How do I generate SMART attribute?

Thanks for the help,

cpliu

I listened to your recording.

You have either bad firmware or bad heads.

No amount of freezing or playing around with utilities is going to bring
this drive back to life.

I have seen an enormous surge of recently-manufactured Seagate drives
(high-capacity) coming in for recovery - although admittedly mainly with
failed bearings rather than bad heads or firmware. It is an issue I
will be taking up with Seagate and posting on my website in the coming
days.

From having been the most reliable drives around two to four years ago,
I now see more Seagate drives for recovery than any other, and I no
longer recommend them for reliability.

Recovering that drive is going to be costly.

And, no - I am not offering - I'm snowed under at the moment and
reluctant to take on new work such as that.

Duncan
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk