Old January 25th 08, 11:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
cpliu

Default dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble
powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also
making a clicking noise at a regular pace (~ once a second) like it
got stuck by something at rotation. After a few minutes, it shuts
itself down. If I power it up again, it would go through the same
process like described above.

I have a lot of files on the HD that I'd like to retreive before
sending it back. Are there tricks that I can temporarily making it
work? I wonder if I slap at it at certain angle, it may break free and
work again?? I've seen tips of putting it in a freezer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

cpliu