Old November 20th 08, 12:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Help! My computer will not stay on!!!

csar244 wrote:
This is kind of a long story...Please someone tell me what to do!
About 3 weeks ago my psu went out and I brought my PC to work to have
our IT guy fix it. He replaced it with a Rhino ATX 12v 450 watt
power supply (it had whatever the standard 12 v 300 watt for hp is).
My PC is a Compaq SR2180NX with Vista Home Premium.
Anyway, after he fixed it, it would come on, but now it will not stay
on! It will boot up and stay on for MAYBE 5 minutes and then it will
go blank. The power light is still on, but it will not do anything. I
have to hold the power button down for a few seconds before it will
go off. If I try to turn it on for the next hour or so (sometime
longer), it will only boot up to the start screen and do the same
thing. Sometimes the light will only blink and the fans start to
turn but they go off almost immediately. AgHHH! I have tried
everything. I have replaced the Bios Battery. I have cleaned my
DIMM. I have cleaned out all of the dust, checked my pins....I don't
know a lot about the "guts" of the computer so I am asking
for HELP! The other day I was able to get it to stay on for almost
an hour. I was playing solitaire and it shut off in the middle of
the game. This is driving me crazy. Do you think it could be a bad
power supply?

Either a bad power supply or failing motherboard. You've eliminated
some causes with battery replacement and cleaning out dust and dirt.
Make sure that the CPU cooling fan is clear of ALL dust and dirt and
that it spins freely.

FYI, often when the power supply in an HP or Compaq computer fails, it
damages the motherboard too. CHEAPEST power supplies, often the Bestec
brand, notorious for poor quality.. Ben Myers