Old April 27th 09, 02:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default Partitioning - any tips on Primary Extended Logical ?

On 24 Apr 2009 03:29:54 GMT, Arno put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Arno" wrote:
[.......]
AFAIK, for Windows you do not have much choice bedises
extended partitions as it does not know how to handle several
primaries on one disk. [....]

Say what? Windows accommodates up to 4 Primary partitions
on a single hard disk, or one to three Primaries plus one Extended.
The Extended partitions may have "many" logical drives - up to 24
according to PCGuide:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/...titions-c.html

Well, then thi has finally be fixed. It was an issue for years
and I frankly did not try it again after it failed way back.

Arno

I don't use Win XP, but the FDISK command that ships with Win9x can
only create one primary and one extended partition. You need 3rd party
software to create additional primary partitions. However, Win9x has
no problem seeing and using the extra primaries.

- Franc Zabkar