Old February 9th 09, 09:56 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Morten Reistad

Default Where is Storage Computer (SOS, RAID-7, Goodlander) now ?

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:
_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca_dot_us wrote:
Anyone remember "Storage Computer Corporation"? They had the
unforgettable stock ticker symbol SOS, owned the domain name
storage.com, sold RAID-7 disk arrays (which turned out to be RAID-4
with a write cache, and got the RAB all hot and bothered), and were
owned/operated by Theodore (Ted) Goodlander. Located in New Hampshire
(in the old Digital/Wang area).

never heard of this, but when I hear 'raid 7', I think this place:

http://www.firstsol.com/raid7.html

the specs are fairly amusing.

A PPOE purchased a few of these units after the local Storcomp vendor
won a tender. They worked pretty much as expected. All tests worked;
i.e. the memory battery backup worked. We were a little edgy, though.

The hardware design was pretty OK, we could insert and remove disks on
the fly without alarms in the host OS, and the performance for legacy
systems (Tandem and Prime included) was very good. But from total paranoia
we decided to mirror two independent storcomp raids. That gave pretty
good performance. We also had the local vendor upgrade the batteries
radically.

The postings from Goodlander almost made us ignore the tender, though.

Except the competition (Dynatech etc) were soo lame. They even managed
to run foul of the anti-corruption rules. And they had a good, local
vendor that didn't parrot the Raid7 crap too intensely.

If they had just pushed Storage for a mixed environment I think they
would have been a lot more successful. They way they moved they
pushed customers away.

-- mrr