Old November 7th 03, 07:25 AM
kalev-

Euc1id wrote:

I don't remember the exact details, but I had a similar problem with my HP
Pavilion 6545C, 500MHz Celeron, W98se, Phoenix BIOS if I recall correctly,
purchased in 1999. I solved it by buying an IDE adapter card from Maxtor
(it was a Maxtor 80G drive) for about $40-50. The adapter card takes over
all of the hard drive functions of the BIOS (which no longer sees a hard
drive). The only disadvantage of the adapter card was that the hard drive
activity LED would no longer work. I had to scrounge another one and plug
into the adapter card, not easy because nobody sells them -- but you can
pilfer one from an old computer case. Local computer repair shops, or
independent small computer shops, are your best bet there.

There were a couple of other peculiarities. If I recall correctly... The
scandisk and fdisk utilities that came with W98se wouldn't read large hard
drives properly, but M$ provided free downloads of later versions that
worked OK. Don't know if they still do. M$ is getting to be a tightwad
these days.

Thanks alot for the suggestion!

jk

--