Old May 14th 18, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.conspiracy
nospam

Default [BBC] IBM workers banned from using USB sticks

In article , Frank Slootweg
wrote:

The company I worked for banned them many years ago - for
reasons of (a) concern of theft of secure [either in the
government (it was a defence contractor) or commercial sense]
material, and (b) fear of infection.

Exactly. Same with the little 150K employee computer company I
worked
for. As soon as USB ports showed up on computers, they were made
inoperable. (No card-readers at that time.) That was well before the
year 2000.

there weren't very many usb peripherals 'well before the year 2000' so
disabling the usb ports didn't make much of a difference.

Huh? The discussion is about USB (memory) sticks!

which didn't exist 'well before the year 2000'.

Correct. I thought it was earlier, but according to my notes, it was
probably mid-2001.

that time frame makes a bit more sense.