Old January 30th 18, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Precision M6500 - screen shut off

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 4:15:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 12:55:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I stumbled on this topic while searching something else, but am posting because I have a Precision M6500 that did this a lot. I applied the fix found in the "verified answer" he http://en.community.dell.com/support...519/t/19323478

The common problem is due to the video card getting a false overheating signal. My screen was blanking a few times a week, but it hasn't happened once in the year and a few months since applying the fix.

Had same problem. Installed MSI Afterburner graphics card overclocking utility version 4.4.2 and reduced the clock speeds by 20%. Problem solved. Outlined below are the specifics.

Dell Precision M6500

Graphics Card: nvidia quadro fx 3800m

Graphics Card Overclocking Utility: MSI Afterburner 4.4.2

Clock setting reduced 20% to alleviate black screen issue.

Settings: Core Clock: Default: 675
Profile 1: 541: - 20%

Mem Clock: Default: 1000
Profile 1: 802 - 20%

I may increase the clock speeds by only reducing them by 10% - 15% if the system remains stable. That's the recommendation I came across on another forum. I used this utility in the past and it definitely resolved the problem but recently had to re-install it because I needed a Windows re-install and the problem started to re-occur. I expect that this solution will once again resolve the problem.

I, too, have used MSI's Afterburner to throttle down the graphics. Unless one really needs a fast frame rate for gaming, there is no reason to have an nVidia chip running hot, so clock it down and slow down memory accesses, too. As I said before, nVidia has a long and checkered history of pushing the envelope on graphics performance, with numerous failed chips. This is sometimes made worse by unscrupulous card manufacturers deliberately overclocking the graphics chip to be the fastest graphics in the 'hood. Other graphics card manufacturers have utilities similar to AfterBurner, with different skins but the same clock-changing mechanisms inside... Ben Myers