Old July 30th 12, 04:39 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mark F[_2_]

Default Does TRIM support hurt data recovery?

Does TRIM support hurt data recovery?

For example, if I delete a file in Windows will the SSD drive's
TRIM support erase the data?

If I delete a partition, will the SSD drive erase all of the
data that was in the partition?

Does it depend on the SSD drive, or are things defined so as
to mean the data either, depending on the definition:
. always be erased eventually, even if no further writes are done
. never be erased unless the space is actually needed.

It seems to me that TRIM support in the operating system and the
device will mean that the data MAY be erased a before being needed,
but I don't know how much, if any, writing has to be done before the
drive can start erasing things.