Old October 9th 20, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Why buying laptops is a bad deal long term (dead battery = unableto boot up)

Larc wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 07:18:00 -0400, Paul wrote:

| RayLopez99 wrote:
|
| I wonder why you decide to recharge the battery every few months,
| I guess to prevent it from going to zero and thus "shorting out" (or equivalent).
| But I'll happily not use a battery if it solves this random
| 'going to sleep/hibernation' problem.
|
| RL
|
| Maintained for resale value.
|
| I won't live forever.
|
| But really, the laptop is obsolete, and another
| person using it will likely use it as a doorstop.
|
| Paul

Sounds like a younger version of the old Toshiba I have that originally came with
Vista installed (now running 10 Pro). A friend replaced it and then gave it to me. I
have no need for a laptop, but keep it updated just because it's here and runs. The
original battery is still in it and will power it for 15 or 20 minutes, but I usually
plug it in before I turn it on. Since I can't even remember the last time it got a
clean Windows install (maybe not since the factory), I'm thinking of doing that once
the 20H2 ISO is available from Microsoft to see if it might speed things up a bit.

Larc

If only that were true.

One question I've got is, Microsoft is headed down a path
where Hyper-V is enabled on all computers. Only the computers
with EPT/SLAT hardware feature can do this. What happens
to the other computers, like your and my laptop ? Do the
Windows 10 upgrades stop ? My guess is yes. What will be
interesting, is the feedback the users will provide :-/

The warning came, when my Insider Edition made me
remove VirtualBox 5, and it would accept VirtualBox 6
(which runs "under" Hyper-V).

I wonder what happens, when a user reaches into the BIOS
after a successful install, and turns EPT off ? There
must be some sort of dialog box "Now, you turn that
back on this minute".

Paul