Old November 6th 06, 03:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jobs

Default BootIt NG high level steps - best approach??

Thanks for that!

I'll definetly will use the product moving forward. I agree with
seperating data from OS, that just makes good sense. And for
production, I agree keeping it simple and clean is the only way to go.
However, development for me is and will always be one giant mess of a
scratch pad that likely has to be rebuilt every now and then. There I
do need a handful of partitions and Im not too worried about keeping it
too clean or safe. As I write this, I'm loading 2003 patches on one
partion and having to remember that the OS is on F: when it boots. No
biggie, but I see your point.

That said, back to my questions.

I've got about 80gig on my dev server. Curerntly I've got it partioned
as 30gig, 20gig, 20gig and 10gig FAT. when I boot from Ghost I only see
the FAT, so I do keep soom images there.

One of the 20gigs has my future environment on it and it's looking good
for moving forward with that. But 20gig it turns out is too close for
comfort for all the new stuff. So i'd like to go with 30gig 30gig 5, 5,
5 and 5 or some combination. 2 partions for 2003 boots, one for
Bootit, a couple of Linux and maybe one for DOS, unless Bootit can boot
to itself and not need an OS.

So where do I start. In the past I would using windows 2000 to format
and partion the drives. will bootit do that? and use windows2000 boot
menu.

steps I see:

1. boot from bootit CD?
2. backup up partions? with what?
3. delete create partions?
4. format the drives using what?
5. any bootit step when installing an OS in a partion?

Thanks!