Old June 29th 15, 10:02 PM posted to alt.audio,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro Soundblaster 7.1 stops working after recent windows 7 update.

Hello,

Today 29 june 2015 after installing Microsoft Windows 7 updates the Creative
Labs X-Fi Elite Pro Soundblaster 7.1 stopped working. (No more sound, no
more audio devices available for console launcher, software for
soundblaster).

The update process went as follows: I accidently clicked install, I did not
want to install IE9 so I cancelled the updates. I deselected IE9 because it
malfunctions on my system.

Then I proceeded as normal with installing updates, it seemed to download
them normally and installed them normally.

Then I started playing Company of Heroes on Tunngle in a 4 v 4 match I found
out the sound was no longer working ?!

Alt-tabbing and trying to select an audio device was also not helping. SB-XI
AC00 is visible from menu... so it seems the soundblaster is alive and well
but the software is not.

So it seems like a software problem.

The updates installed we

1.
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3033890)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:08
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that
could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing
this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are
included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base
article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3033890

2.
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:07
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of
the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft
Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item,
you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664

3.
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3068708)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:07
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of
the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft
Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item,
you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3068708

4.
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3059317)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:06
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that
could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing
this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are
included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base
article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3059317

5.
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 for
x64-based Systems (KB3058515)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:05
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that
could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing
this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are
included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base
article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3058515

6.
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3057839)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:05
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that
could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing
this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are
included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base
article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3057839

7.
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3063858)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:05
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that
could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing
this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are
included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base
article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3063858

8.
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3054476)
Installation date: ‎29/‎6/‎2015 22:05
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of
the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft
Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item,
you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3054476

The only thing odd about it is the cancelled updates are exactly the same
(except for additional IE9 cancel) but in a different order in the list, not
sure if that has anything to do with it.

For now I am at a loss how to get the soundblaster working again. I have
seen a problem like this before... it's kinda strange... perhaps I may have
to re-install x-fi elite pro soundblaster drivers... or perhaps windows 7
updates is causing an incompatibility or problem somehow.

Things I may try:

1. Re-boot again.

2. Re-install drivers.

3. Google for other people with same problem and possibly
fixes/solutions/software updates.

4. De-install windows updates yet again ?!

I share this problem with you in case other owners of X-Fi Elite Pro
Soundblaster 7.1 are suddenly also running into this issue.

Bye,
Skybuck.