Old February 22nd 04, 09:46 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Michael Brown" wrote in message
Vikram wrote:
Planning to upgrade to the Athlon 64...
Can someone point me to some good articles on the operating modes of
the Athlon 64 and how does one switch from one mode to another ?

The best place to look is in the AMD datasheets. It's essentially just
another flag in the descriptor tables that marks the selector as 64-bit.

Can I dual boot a Windows XP 32-bit and a Windows XP 64-bit on an
Athlon 64 ?? or does it need some Jumper Setting on the Motherboard ?

Since the 32/64 mode switch is in purely in software, you can dual-boot
between the two without changing anything on the hardware side (such as
jumpers).

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

AMD 64, Hmm?
IA-32 0-31 linked to the next set of 0-31. in other words.
HT Tech, Using one cpu, and linking it to the next, make it bigger for
thermal reasons, and take the first instruction set of IA-32 and link it to
the next.
This would explain why it's taking Intel so long to come up with their
64Bit CPU.
As for your questions, I'm not sure.