Old June 26th 04, 06:04 AM
Post Replies Here Please

"Hellmark" == Hellmark writes:

Hellmark Codemutant's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged
Hellmark through his body we

I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer. The system is most propably going to be used to run
linux and do some serious programming. May be a little bit of
games, movies and multimedia can also be thoght of in the
Things-to-do list. I was thinking of buying an AMD64 3ghz based
computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is very common. They said that for saving
money i must not compramise on reliablity and performance in the
long run. What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Hellmark Tell your friends they are full of ****. I have been
Hellmark running AMD chips for years, and have had zero problems.
Hellmark While it is true that AMD's run hotter, its very easy to
Hellmark keep them cool. It means just add a case fan or two, and
Hellmark you're good to go (most Intel systems rely on only a CPU
Hellmark fan and the fan in the powersupply, which I dont like
Hellmark running on any system, no matter who makes it). As far as
Hellmark over heating, would they care to explain my AMD64 2800+
Hellmark sitting right here at a cool 102 Fahrenheit (and the
Hellmark hottest it's ever been was 116 degrees under a full
Hellmark continuous workload), while I had a P2 450 overheat, and
Hellmark destroy the motherboard, video card, DVD drive, CD-RW, and
Hellmark sound card? I've yet to have a AMD chip overheat. They are
Hellmark just Intel Fanboys giving you some FUD.

I would concur with that. All these chips can get very hot and require
properly setup cooling. AMD64 has the edge with gaming benchmarks. P4
still have an edge with video encoding. Either system will be more
than great. Some benchmarks show faster compiling with AMD64.

The question is should you wait or not? That is probably the hardest
question to answer. Both AMD and Intel are coming out with new
chipsets and sockets.

Go to some hardware sites and look around.

Good luck!