Old June 26th 04, 04:25 AM
Codemutant

"Don McCarter" wrote in message ...
I have always used Intel CPU's until now.
I built an AMD64 3200 machine and for
a computer hobbyist like me it is great.
It is much quieter that my son's Intel P4 3.0.
I am running Fedore Core 2 64bit, WindowsXP64(free to download and use for
one year) and WindowsXp pro.
All of the above OS's work fine. In some cases the 64Bit is
faster.

"Ed" wrote in message
On 25 Jun 2004 02:52:20 -0700, (Codemutant)
wrote:

I am intel celeron 333mhz user.., I recently decided to buy a new
computer.
The system is most propably going to be used to run a linux version
and do
some serious programming. May be a little bit of games, movies.. and
multimedia
can also be thoght of in the Things-to-do list. I was thinking of
buying
an AMD64 3ghz based computer. But my friends are advicing me to go for
an Intel
pentium 2.8 HT system. They argue that AMD is unreliable and
overheating of the cpu is
very common. They said that for saving money i must not compramise on
reliablity and performance in the long run.
What should i buy: an intel based system or an AMD?

Any of those friends ever use an AMD 64 system (built correctly)? cause
it sounds to me like they don't have a clue!

I don't own a AMD64 but I have built 3 of them and get to use them
on/off, 2 words - "Kick Ass"

Ed

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

The arguement i lose when debating with intelfans.. is "why then amd
is cheaper than intel?? if the performance is high isnt it cheaper
bcause it uses cheaper components???" ... any suggessions...?
thanx for the replies i got... i finally made up my mind to buy an
amd64 3.0ghz system. I am planning to use asus motherboard with the in
build geforce. Do tell me tips to keep my amd cooler and in perfect
working condition.