Old July 11th 16, 10:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Default Anyone here with 771 to 775 converter sticker experience forXeon 771 processors?

Bob F wrote:

Thanks for the analysis. This mod for 771 to 775 conversion seems to
involve swapping the connections at 2 pins.

I guess what I really would like to know is, are there better stickers
that don't have a problem with failures, and if so, how do I find those
ones? Or, maybe I found the only bad supplier and I could try anyone else?

The starting materials look reasonable, but the
overall design concept may be lacking. You'll notice
when Intel designed the socket, they didn't just bring
two flat surfaces together and let them touch.
They made each spring razor sharp, and relied on a
"bite" technique. Leaving a mark in the pad on the CPU.

Between the film and the CPU, the connection is
not augmented. The film does not bite.

With the tape technique, there are limits to how
thick you can make the tape solution, before it
permanently damages the LGA775 springs. The springs
are brittle and cannot be beaten repeatedly without
snapping. They have a limited compliance range.

Part of the reason they behave the way they do, is
they stay precisely centered. If you used a more
floppy material for the spring (better able to take
user bending with pliers), the contacts would never
be centered and would be all over the place. If you
look at the bite marks in the CPU, you'll see a certain
consistency. The spring isn't even getting close to
being off-center.

You'll have to examine the tape with your
microscope, to see what is going on :-)

You should also examine the LGA775 socket,
in the tape area, and see how the two springs
involved, have been damaged or not. Maybe
the spring has lost its will to live. Even without
a microscope, if you hold the socket up to the
light, the contacts make a regular pattern in
the light, and any abused springs should make
a discontinuity in the visible pattern. That's
a sign it is damaged, even if you don't know how
much damage was done.

Paul