Old September 19th 13, 05:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Seagate drive model # and serial# don't match. ST1000DM003

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bob F wrote:
[snip]
It is as if they shipped ST1000DM003 drives that were not up
to the currently advertised specs although they wouldn't actually say
that.

Interestingly when I got my ST1000DM003 from Amazon I read the customer
reviews and it seems that Seagate *are* (or were) re-labeling their older
drives and selling them as new generation.

This page / review is mostly about the 2TB version but does cover the others
in the Seagate '1TB / platter' range:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac...owViewpoints=1

So you see it's entirely possible that you in fact *did* have an older gen
drive to start with! :-(

That's one of the reasons I went for the 1TB drive - it's much thinner so
there's no way they can give you a two-platter drive in it's stead. Was your
drive thin? They if it were could however still give you a drive with
different cache etc. than you thought you were paying for. I am a Seagate
man, have been ever since I got burned with the WD 'Green' drives (and since
with USB external drives that can't even saturate a USB 2 bus, yet alone USB
3) - However this sort of thing worries me.....

(I seriously dislike crossposting and usually remove it. This one time I'll
let it stand as I'm reading from overclocking.)
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]