Old September 6th 13, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
David H. Lipman

Default Seagate drive model # and serial# don't match. ST1000DM003

From: "Bob F"

I just received a warrantee replacement drive for my dead ST1000DM003. The
Replacement was a ST31000528AS refurb. which doesn't meet the same specs
as the origional. Seagate told me that my drive serial# shows up on their
system as the same specs as the replacement drive, not as a SATA 3, 64MB
cache drive like the ST1000DM003.They had no suggestion as to how this
could be, but assured me the replacement met the same specs as my
origional.

Has anyone else out there run into this situation?

I would put a complaint, in writing, to SeaGate. Fully document the
differences and why you have the SATA III drive in the first place. While
they have the right to give you a refurbished drive as a replacement, it
does not conform to to their warranty stating "functionally equivalent
replacement product".

"If Seagate authorizes you to return your product to Seagate or an
authorized service provider, Seagate will replace your product without
charge with a functionally equivalent replacement product. Seagate may
replace your product with a product that was previously used, repaired and
tested to meet Seagate specifications. Seagate will pay to ship the
replacement product to you. By sending product for replacement, you agree to
transfer ownership of the original product to Seagate. Seagate will not
return your original product to you. Data recovery is not covered under this
limited warranty and is not part of the repair or exchange process. If you
would like data recovery performed on your drive, it is available from
Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. Seagate warrants
that repaired or replaced products are covered for the greater of either the
remainder of the original product warranty or 90 days."

http://www.seagate.com/support/warra...umer-warranty/

Seagate Technology LLC
10200 S. De Anza Blvd
Cupertino, CA, 95014