Old February 4th 05, 03:27 PM
Iain Dingsdale

"Iain Dingsdale" wrote in message

"Lars-Erik Østerud" .@. wrote in message
news:NuKMd.1238$Mw3.664@amstwist00...
Is there a comparison chart between Nvidia cards?

My old 4200 card scores 1600 on 3dMark 03, and I see others get over
6000 with new 6800 cards, but what about the other cards in between?

After all it's a question about price vs power. I need a bit stronger
card (today I get full speed at old games with 2x AA, but HL2 won't
run faster than 42 fps w/o AA, what do I need to get 85 fps 4x AA?)

BTW: Will all new cards work OK with my Asus P4PE board, or is there
AGP limitations that will slow down the card on the P4PE (AGP speed)

Why do you want 85fps? The human eye is incapable of distinguishing
anything higher than 60, and 40 is plenty smooth enough. It really depends
on the rest of your system - cpu ram etc. The 6600GT is a good midrange
card but it wont get you your pointless 85fps! will be playable though

I've just benchmarked my system at the settings you seem to want

"Resolution: 800×600
Demo: HardwareOC - Coast
Detail: Maximum quality
Antialising mode: 8×
Filtering mode: From System
Hardware DirectX level: DirectX 9
Heapsize: 64 MB - default
Score = 68.8 FPS"

2 points - 68.8 is enough, thats not skipping once, not a single frame
dropped
Secondly, it looks crap. I play it on 1280x1024 with full details, full AA
and AF and it looks superb, i get about 45fps like this and its as smooth as
possible, again no frames dropped at all. Run at the highest resolution you
can, if you have enough headroom afterwards then crank up the AA and AF -
not the other way round. You ideally dont want to drop below 30fps.

My specs:
Athlon 64 3400+ at 2.7Ghz
1gb PC3200 RAM
SATA hard drive
Leadtek 6800GT @ ultra speeds

So forget 85fps - figures like that are for bragging rights only, and forget
800x600.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!