Old April 13th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default Compaq Portable II Power Supply Problem

Hello,

I would really appreciate your help. I have a Compaq Portable II (286
CPU) that I was given, working state unknown. When I plug it in and
switch it on I hear a beeping noise and only the floppy drive light
blinks on and off. The hard disk doesn't spin up, no monitor, or
lights on kb About a minute later, smoke started to waft out of the
power supply vent area. After removing the PS and blowing all dust
off, and reinserting, still same. Thought I could sue an AT PS until
saw the strange card connecter.

Do you think the PS is dead? Or is their something else I should try?

Ben