Old January 6th 04, 03:36 AM
tc

It seems to me, if you can access the internet, you should be able to access
your network. Assuming you are using a router and the other machines are
networking with tcp/ip, what would the difference be? Check to make sure
your XP firewall is turned off.
Terry

"Whelan" wrote in message
I've just been handed down my son's Compaq Presario 1800 laptop. (I bought
him a replacement.)

This Presario has never been able to tap into our home network for

printing
or file sharing (since I installed Win XPPro on it summer 2002. However it
can use DSL through our router. This last week I have tried furiously to
solve the networking problem, with lots of advice on the Dell message
boards, but nothing works.

It looks like I will have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Win

XPPro
to have any hope of networking it.

Has anyone made a fresh start on a a Presario 1800 with XP? Was it

difficult
to find drivers etc to make it work? I'm not finding what I need, so far,

on
the web site; it only lists Win Me and 2000.

(We did purchase an extended warranty in July 2001... Any chance Compaq
would provide support of the type I need by phone?)

Nan