Old July 25th 20, 02:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default "Western Digital releases new 18TB, 20TB EAMR drives"

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 2:41:36 AM UTC+8, Mark Perkins wrote:

Tape has never been a viable random access medium and never will be.
If you're a glutton for punishment, I suppose you could use it for archival
purposes, but even that's a stretch these days. Check with your local
museum to see if they have a tape system they're willing to part with.
There's a reason why all of the big data storage organizations use hard
drives exclusively.

My last workplace used LTO-8 for offsite backups. I imagine quite a few do.
It would have take 10 times as long using cloud backup.