Old June 18th 10, 10:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

Default Marginal OEM Power Supply

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:

snip

I increased the memory by 50%, reinstalled the incorrectly installed
memory, and added a second HDD, and the machine did boot.

I haven't used the machine much, and, in particular, I haven't used
the video much, but this summer I started encountering video problems
while trying to upgrade Fedora.

Since I had an extra video card available, I tried changing video
card. My replacement video card drew too much power and the machine
would not even boot. The easy conclusion was that the power supply
was either malfunctioning or marginal to begin with.

That's a fair guess, many are sized to the need as sold. That's not an
unfair practice, just one which should be more obvious before it bites you.

Never occurred to me that they would size the power supply to the actual
sale. That means that, even if you pay outrageous prices for a
subsequent OEM add-on, it might not work. I'd call that deceptive
marketing.

The computer store is a fair drive, so I bought both a replacement
power supply and a very low end video card. I don't like replacing
power supplies, so I tried the video card. Works like magic. I'll
replace the power supply if I get around to it. I mostly run the box
remotely and I don't need fancy video. As far as warranties are
concerned, I can't imagine what circumstances would make a warranty
repair worth my time, so I don't worry about it.

Unless you have some reason to use a brick and mortar store, places like
newegg and tigerdirect are good sources for parts.

A Microcenter is reasonably close, and, if you shop carefully, their
prices are hard to beat.

**And**, if something goes wrong, I know how to find the store manager.

Maybe when you pay for installed upgrades, you pay for an upgraded
power supply. Since the memory was added to this box with no further
testing, it's easy to imagine that boxes might be shipped with
upgrades such that the power supply is often marginal or inadequate.

Anybody have any insight?

Except for gamer machines, vendors expect the cover to stay on. The bad
memory install would have gotten a complaint from me, I doubt anyone
ships without a smoke test, at least not anyone remotely reputable. I
bet someone saved a bit of time by not doing it as s/he should.

The default memory configuration for this machine was two sticks. A
third stick was added to this three-channel machine as an "upgrade."

DIMM slots 0 and 2 had been installed correctly and the "upgrade" was
installed to slot 3.

This purchase was from a *very* well-known OEM. It's really hard to
imagine who, other than someone like me or a gamer, would buy such a
box. The only reason I don't name the company is that I know engineers
who work there.

Robert.