Old October 19th 09, 04:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH[_10_]

Default Power supplies

Gudday all,
I recently purchased a Compaq CQ5110F desktop. I did so for two reasons.
First, PC Mag gave it an Editor's Choice tag for entry level desktops and
two, I have a certain brand loyalty, having worked for Compaq tech support
for 6 years.
The unit also seemed to offer a lot for the modest $339 price from New
Egg. Now the reason for this post. Many have complained on here about the
crappy Bestec PSs used by compaq, Dell, et al and, I agree. They are crap.
Lo and behold, when I opened the 5510 case to replace the expected Bestec, I
find a proper LG power supply!
Nice surprise. I went ahead and installed a 500-watt Thermaltake PS
because the Geforce card I wanted to use required a minimum 400 watter. The
LG was only 300 and a bit skimpy on the 18v rails.
Alas, my Dell Inspron 530S has a crap 250-watt Bestec in it. Any
suggestions for a suitable replacement? Ben? Lotta watts not important, I
just want to get a reliable PS in there before the Bestec fries the MB.

TIA