Old December 28th 08, 02:13 PM posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Aragorn

Default New release of sys_basher

On Sunday 28 December 2008 14:04, someone identifying as *Paul* wrote
in /comp.os.linux.hardwa/

Aragorn wrote:

On Sunday 28 December 2008 05:24, someone identifying as *General
Schvantzkoph* wrote in /comp.os.linux.hardwa/

I've put a new release of sys_basher on the web,

http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/

sys_basher is a multi-threaded hardware exerciser, memory tester and
benchmarking tool. It will run on any Linux or Unix.

Does it also do diagnostics of other possibly failing hardware components
than memory? I'm just asking because I've got a machine sitting here
idly for quite some time now due to strange lockups and BIOS ECC error
log entries.

[...]
There is a manual for the SE7500CW2 here.

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...500cw2/tps.pdf

Yes, I have that manual already, thank you. I have even printed it out
because the machine was assembled elsewhere and it did not come with any
documentation.

http://support.intel.com/support/mot...ver/se7500cw2/

(Picture)
http://www.xeonchassis.com/images/IntelCW-OH.jpg

The design uses a shared VRM for both processors. The Intel document says
the processors should be matched. And that is because they're both going
to be getting their Vcore from the same source. The VRM supports a total
load of 130W or the usage of two 65W processors. The motherboard checks
the VID from both processors, to make sure they're matched, so that
should provide some protection against a completely mismatched
set of processors from a voltage perspective.

The processors are matched, yes.

You could concentrate on running a memory test. Or use multiple copies
of the Linux version of Prime95, as a means of doing an integrity test
on memory and processor. That should run the CPU at 100%, especially
if running four or more copies. (Prime95 is good, because it won't
be held back by disks or storage subsystems. A single math error and
it catches it.)

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/#newusers

Interesting tip, thank you.

In terms of strip-down procedures, you could try running with one
processor at a time, and see whether the symptoms are the same in
each case. (No terminator is needed in the empty second socket.)

With four sticks of RAM, you can also run just two sticks at a time,
and test them that way. (The board is dual channel, and the manual
claims a two stick minimum. If may run with just one stick,
but I don't immediately see that suggested in the manual.)

I'm afraid this is out of my league. I am rather clumsy - it has to do with
certain motor skill impairments - and so I prefer leaving swapping
processors around and removing or swapping memory sticks to a
professional. :-/

A 350W power supply, could be a dual redundant 350W with load
sharing, or it could be a $20 single supply from Quickie-Mart.
You'd need to have more of a look at it, to judge whether it
is adequate (the label has a bunch of limits printed on it).
In a quick web search, I see SE7500CW2 based machines shipping
with 450W supplies, to give you an idea what others use. But if
you have 20 disk drives in the box, obviously that requires
more beef.

The power supply was Intel-certified, of this I am sure.

If you want help with hardware, it helps to start your own thread
about your hardware problems, and not hijack the General's thread :-)

I am sorry if it comes across as if I hijacked the thread. This was
certainly not my intention, and thus I apologize.

The problem in itself was not of an urgent nature and so I did not see any
need to start a thread about it yet, but the General's post made me wonder
whether I could use his tool to diagnose the illness of that particular
machine, and I know I tend to be rather verbose. :-/

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)