Old February 5th 20, 12:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

Default DVD Player Region Rules?

Ben Myers wrote:
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 5:49:30 AM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I want to check how the 5 changes to region work. Is the only place
this is stored in the DVD drive? In particular not in computer
anywhere.

So I could use an external USB DVD drive and set it to region 2 and
my other DVD drives would still work for region 1?

XP 24/7 since 2005. --

Ron,

I did not think that DVD players had any region-specific information
burned into their firmware. I thought that the handling of the
region was done in software, which is why I use the open-source VLC
Media Player which is region-blind by design.

Also, the process of manufacturing and distributing DVD players would
be more complicated if they were region-specific.

Give VLC Media Player a try and let me know whether you succeed with
it... Ben Myers

Most DVD players from stores are region locked to the area they are sold
in. So a unit sold in Japan will not load a US sold DVD, Same if the DVD
was sold in the UK, it will not play on a US player.

Now the DVD drives in a computer are somewhat different but they are
still only set up to allow 5 region changes and will lock on the last
one set. Unlike the store bought DVD players the companies allow the
drives to be reset because people move or buy hardware from companies
outside their home countries and that allows the drives to be sold from
anywhere.

Want to see if that is the case with the one in your machines, Right
click on the drive and look at the hardware properties,
on any windows machine you will find the 5 region warning in there under
DVD Region. If you have a DVD recording drive most machines won't allow
another DVD player to operate either. I suppose for the price of them
you might try it but not sure what will happen.

What might work would be to remove the internal drive or switch it to a
CDROM and use external DVD drives. That might work.

--
Steve W.