Old February 5th 20, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default DVD Player Region Rules?

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 5:49:30 AM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I want to check how the 5 changes to region work.
Is the only place this is stored in the DVD drive?
In particular not in computer anywhere.

So I could use an external USB DVD drive and set
it to region 2 and my other DVD drives would still
work for region 1?

XP 24/7 since 2005.

Ron,

I did not think that DVD players had any region-specific information burned into their firmware. I thought that the handling of the region was done in software, which is why I use the open-source VLC Media Player which is region-blind by design.

Also, the process of manufacturing and distributing DVD players would be more complicated if they were region-specific.

Give VLC Media Player a try and let me know whether you succeed with it... Ben Myers