Old October 14th 20, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful, or is this a bug in windows 7.

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 18:39:02, micky wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, on Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:51:22 +0100,
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 09:05:03, VanguardLH wrote:
micky wrote:

Using Win 7 I have a USB dock, and it worked fine before, under win10
and maybe under Vista. Never got this message. Now, maybe because I'm
using win7, every time I plug in the dock, I get this message for every
data partition as it starts up (except an empty partition on a different
drive).

The drive has 4 partitions, 3 that it gives this warning for (not the

[]
You're using a USB dock and get this problem. Does the problem still
occur when you do NOT use the USB, and instead move the USB drive to
connect directly to each computer?

[]
I suspect it isn't a USB drive, but an ordinary SATA one. I have such a

Right. And it's a laptop computer so no way to connect a 3.5" dirive to
the laptop directly. Well, no, I have a USB data cable, a power brick
and power cable and bare connectors for an IDE drive and maybe SATA,
and if not SATA, they must make the same thing for SATA, but would that
be any more direct than the dock?

I have one of those "cables" - if the "bare connectors" are in a flat
black bit that has connectors for the 3.5" IDE on one side and the
laptop one on the other (mine came with a power brick for the drive
too). There's actually some electronics in the flat black bit; basically
similar to a dock, just less (no) physical support for the drive. My
friend has a slightly later model of such a "cable", which has a SATA
connector on top of the flat black bit (as well as the IDE ones on the
sides), and needs (probably came with) a short SATA cable to connect to
the drive, and had an adaptor to convert the Molex on the power brick to
SATA.

dock - a garish red and black thing (also has card-reader slots, though
I've never used them) with its own power brick; connects by USB (2 only,
I think)

I (used to) suspect it is USB3***. What brand, model? Even my old
Thermaltake BlacX is 3.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Thermalt...king-station-S
ATA-6Gb-s-USB-3.0/4315699?cm_cat=google&cm_ite=4315699&cm_pla=NA-NA-Ther
maltake%20Technology_AD&cm_ven=acquirgy&ef_id=Cj0 KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFM
JC1iFjishD1l4Jys1KVBQDsKAS6nEVpcBdBDdKcfinjOHr526 DeQAaAi3iEALw_wcB:G:s&g
clid=Cj0KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFMJC1iFjishD1l4Jys1K VBQDsKAS6nEVpcBdBDdKcfi
njOHr526DeQAaAi3iEALw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!4223!3!35909 4630459!!!g!32241114663
6!!2050704618!72042893909

I've had it for 10 years or so and they haven't changed the design or
come up with a newer model in all that time. But it's USB3 now and I
think it was then too

or eSATA (though in my case I was surprised there didn't seem
to be much speed difference). Has slots into which you can plug a SATA
(laptop or desktop format, it takes both sizes) or (E)IDE drive.

***OTOH, if yours takes IDE, I guess it 's even older than mine.

Mine looks like this (other than came with power brick):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-S...a88fca00:g:sPw
AAOSw6u9e6gXQ
(I'm surprised they're still selling USB2! I suppose if people will buy
it ...)
[]
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf