Old October 13th 20, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful, or is this a bug in windows 7.

micky wrote:

Using Win 7 I have a USB dock, and it worked fine before, under win10
and maybe under Vista. Never got this message. Now, maybe because I'm
using win7, every time I plug in the dock, I get this message for every
data partition as it starts up (except an empty partition on a different
drive).

The drive has 4 partitions, 3 that it gives this warning for (not the
smallest one with no partition letter) and I've run the scan like it
suggested for the tiny partition and the smaller one, but it keeps
asking. (The dock has USB3 but the laptop only has USB2. and the large
parttion was taking forever so I stopped it. )

Is there really a problem, or are they being super-careful, or is this a
bug in windows 7. The warning says:

"Do you want to scan and fix [this drive]? There might be a problem
with some files on this disc. This can happen if you remove the disc
before all files are written to it. [But I never do that, and certainly
not since the last time I used this dock and ran this scan..]

_ Scan and fix (Recomended). This will prevent future problems when
copying files to this device or disc

_ Continue without scanning.

Can I just routinely continue without scanning?

You're using a USB dock and get this problem. Does the problem still
occur when you do NOT use the USB, and instead move the USB drive to
connect directly to each computer?

You never mentioned how you unmount the USB drive before unplugging it.
Are you right-clicking on it in Explorer to select "Eject"? Are you
using the hardware wizard icon in the systray to unmount the USB drive
before unplugging it? Just because you aren't using the USB drive
doesn't mean all other software is not. You need to ensure the file
system on the USB drive is quiescent when unplugged.

With the USB drive plugged in and given a drive letter, go into Device
Management (devmgmt.msc), right-click on the drive under the Drives
category, select Properties, and look at the Policies tab. Is the USB
drive configured for quick disconnect (no write caching) or better
performance (write caching enabled)?

One solution that sometimes works is to go into Services (services.msc)
to stop and disable the Shell Hardware Detection service (and reboot).
According to description, this service provides AutoPlay notifications.
Alas, side effects are the Fast User Switching feature is also disabled,
and so is Autoplay (but some users consider this an unsafe "feature",
anyway). The WIA service (Windows Image Acquisition service, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Image_Acquisition) for scanners
and cameras is dependent on the Shell Hardware Detection service. I
don't know what might be other side effects.