Old July 18th 20, 12:13 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_3_]

Default General ramblings (with some Linux flavouring). (Was: Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems')

On 2020-07-17 07:55, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
I know "could care less" is the US version of this expression, but
it's inaccurate. Think about it: if you could care less, that implies
that you do care a little - which is not what you mean; you actually
mean "couldn't*care*less".

Interesting, so the one with the double negative is the correct one. My
publik skool education really sucked.

Well, don't take my word for it: think about it. If you disagree with my
explanation, keep using the other one! I certainly don't claim to be
correct all the time.

Also interesting, in America we say "that horse is different
FROM that one". In the UK they say "that horse is different
TO that one". Or so the shows from the UK on Netflix use it.

Interesting: I always thought Brits argued about whether it was
"different to" or "different from", until a leftpondian said "different
than", then the Brits ganged up against that!
[]
One of my customers just hired a English grad. To make
small talk with her, I asked her for her take on the
Split Infinitive. I could tell she barely knew
what I was talking about. I quickly changed the
subject as I could tell it made her uncomfortable

(a) Grammar isn't _that_ much taught here either [not even in "grammar
schools", I think!], and (b) the split infinitive isn't actually wrong,
except in some grammar books that came out around the turn of the (last)
century - but those writing them didn't give any explanation _why_ they
considered it wrong.

My view is that it's best to avoid it if you can - but not to make
extremely clumsy circumstances in order to do so.

Of course, the most famous split infinitive was nicely parodied by
Douglas Adams, in (at least the original radio and TV versions of)
THHGTTG:

Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of
the former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.

Mighty starships plied their way between exotic suns, seeking adventure
and reward amongst the furthest reaches of Galactic space. In those days
spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were
real women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real
small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. And all dared to brave
unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no
man had split before- and thus was the Empire forged.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I hope you dream a pig.