Old November 30th 11, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Paul

Default BIOS voltage terminology?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 29/11/2011 4:33 PM, Paul wrote:

Okay, I have this setting in my BIOS, is the setting a relative number
(i.e. VID + offset = final voltage), or an absolute setting (i.e.
replaces the maximum VID value)?

It's easiest to figure that out, by looking at the BIOS screen.

I don't know your motherboard model number, and AMD no longer
offers datasheets on the web site, so I can't even play along here.

My processor's VID range is listed as 1.125-1.40V (http://is.gd/FiNKO6).
But it's maximum power while running at stock frequency is 1.30V. Would
I need to change the CPU overvoltage if I am not planning to go over its
highest range (1.40V), but still need to increase the voltage just for
overclocking (e.g. need to go from 1.30V to 1.325V, or something)?

On the Newegg site, one person is using more than 1.4V, so chances are
you're going to need more than stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

"Pros: easily overclocks to 4.4ghz at 1.5125vcore and temps are reasonable
(60C) with a CM hyper 212 with an extra 120mm fan for push/pull

Cons: I can't think of any

Other Thoughts: good for the money but the "turbo" feature is kind of
useless when you overclock"

Okay, I assume this is not something that I'd typically need to play
with when overclocking?

Yousuf Khan

Since I don't have any motherboards with "load line calibration",
I have no first hand experience with it. A couple comments I looked
at, it was hard to tell it was making a difference.

Paul