Old March 17th 21, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default Dead motherboard?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 16:27:40 -0400, I wrote:

| Symptoms: started rebooting occasionally, progressively increasing with prior mouse
| pointer fadeout or freeze (cordless and corded mouse) - stopped seeing USB wifi
| adapter, although USB drives would still work - now won't post at all (power comes on
| and case PLED and fans run for about 20 seconds, then reboot, rinse and repeat) - no
| HDD LED - no signal to wake monitor - power to DVD burner on. Multiple reconnections
| and even reseating of the CPU and heatsink/fan and trying different memory modules
| didn't help.
|
| PSU: Tested thoroughly with comprehensive digital PSU tester and everything 100%
|
| Is there anything else I should check out? I'd like to learn it's not the
| motherboard since a replacement that could accommodate the 7th generation i3 CPU in
| it would cost about as much as a new 300 series board and i3-9100 CPU combined.
|
| I'm not running a higher powered setup here since this isn't a main system, but one I
| use for Windows Insider development testing.
|
| Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H270 Performance
| PSU: Corsair CX500M

UPDATE: The new PSU I ordered for another machine arrived (Corsair RM650x). Connected
it in the problem PC. Still no post, so it definitely appears to be the motherboard.
I've decided to go ahead and replace the motherboard and CPU rather than looking for
a board that will accommodate the 7th generation CPU.

Larc