Old September 4th 03, 03:34 AM
Malcolm Weir

On 03 Sep 2003 14:12:35 -0500, Anton Rang wrote:

This article is so full of semi-technical nonsense that it ain't funny
anymore. I agree with the overall conclusion (tape is here to stay) but this
guy has definitely not been doing his homework on helical scan recording.
This stuff is directly copied out of 10-year old Quantum DLT sales pitches.
Yuck...

I'm curious, what do you disagree with in the article? I don't know
enough about helical scan vs. linear to make a strong argument one
way or the other, but I haven't run into anyone with several hundreds
of terabytes stored on helical scan tapes yet.

TV stations have that, as do certain well-known superpower
governments...

Henry's company (www.instrumental.com) has set up a fair number of
multi-petabyte tape sites, so I tend to give them some trust.

Sure. But all that proves is that you can do that with technology X,
not that you cannot do it with technology Y.

-- Anton

Malc.