Old August 1st 07, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Darryl

Default Out of ideas, Windows startup is halting

On Aug 1, 5:45 am, "Michael Hawes"
wrote:

Can you boot a Memtest86 CD?

I ran Memtest from a boot USB flash drive. Memory passed perfectly.

If not, try reset CMOS. Try with HD
disconnected. If you can get into BIOS, but not load any software, very
weird! Try another HD, or exchange motherboard.

The primary HD is a raid array, which are all disconnected both cable
& power. Only a backup IDE HD and the DVD drive are connected still,
and that's only because the burner is set up as a slave to the HD.

Resetting the BIOS is an interesting thought, which I might try if all
else fails. Really, the only components left I can think of are the
power supply & the MB, but I get weary thinking about removing ALL the
attachments from the MB & removing it, packing it in virgin goose down
as will be no doubt required by the RMA dept, waiting a few weeks,
then getting it back, reattaching everything carefully, only to find
out it wasn't the MB after all.

On the other hand...thank god that motherboard jumpers are thing of
the past.

I've never seen anything quite like this, which is why I'm beginning
to suspect the motherboard. Only the MB could produce such a
devilishly odd problem. If it was the power supply, I would expect
the problem to be less subtle or more intermittent.